Saturday, March 19, 2011

Making of an art piece?

I was the lucky one chosen (the only volunteer) by the other members of my woodturning club, Western Mountain Woodturners, to make something to send to Minnesota for the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) annual symposium in June of this year.  This is the 25th anniversary of the AAW and they asked each chapter to turn something for the symposium.  The AAW is hoping to get something from each club/chapter.  I think that there are something like 225 clubs/chapters world wide so it should be an unbelievable display of turnings. 

I decided that I would use the opportunity to stretch my turning skills, teach myself something new and turn something that I've wanted to do but have never done before.  I've admired the work of Binh Pho from Chicago for quite a few years now.  So I choose to incorporate some of what he does with his work into my design.  What is pictured here is the start of my creation.


Pictured above is the outside shape of my form.  My form at this point is 4 3/4 inches in diameter by 8 1/2 inches high.  My next step is to hollow out the form and to take the wall thickness down to 1/16 inch or less in thickness.


You can see in the picture above that I am getting close to finishing the hollowing process.  The light is aiding me to see the wall thickness.  The idea is for the light to be coming through the wall the same all the way down.  It's not perfect but from the top all the way down the sidewall the wall thickness at this point is just a little under 1/16 inch in thickness.  The next step is to incorporate some designs on the outside of my piece and then airbrush them on along with some piercing. 

Well I will be back in a few days with more pictures of the process.  So keep your fingers crossed that all goes well.

No comments: