Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What to do with all that zucchini? Try this

I understand that this summer has been a great summer for growing zucchini and that a lot of people have an over abundance and are looking for things to do with it.  This is one of my favorite chocolate cakes.  My mother used to make this for us when we were kids (and she still does on occasion).  It calls for zucchini in it and believe me even the pickiest eater will not know there is zucchini in this cake.  So here goes:

Marilyn's Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe

1 stick magarine
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 heaping tablespoons cocoa
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate bits
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine margarine, oil, eggs and sugar in a large bowl.  Add vanilla and milk to mixture.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cocoa.  Mix together and than slowly sift into first bowl.  Mix together and than add zucchini, chocolate bits and nuts to bowl and thoroughly mix together.  Pour batter into a greased 9" x 13" pan.  Bake for approximately 45 minutes.

I got a laugh when I looked at my mothers recipe and saw that it actually called for Oleo instead of margarine.    I haven't heard it called Oleo in years.  Does anyone remember calling it that?  Warning you might be showing your age if you do.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Margaret Duarte said...

I love zucchini bread. Never had it with chocolate before. Thanks for your mother's recipe. Wished you lived closer. Surprisingly, I don't have any zucchini this year.

Kim Dailey said...

Margaret what may be even more surprising is that I don't have any zucchini this year either. For the last couple of years we have wanted to plant a large garden so that we could can produce in the fall. However last year it was to wet to plant anything until July and this year we never got around to planting until the 4th of July and than only tomatoes. Oh well there's always next year I guess.